Thursday, November 13, 2008

Technology

The internet, one of the most handiest tools for human kind today.  Surfing the world wide web, checking out facebook, and myspace.  Talking to family that may be far away.  Talking to people who may be from a different country, then after a few minutes talking like you have been friends for years.  But do people know when enough screen time is enough?

Personally, I have been around technology my entire life.  I remember playing Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles on the original Nintendo system (NES).  Watching the two dimensional pixel characters jumping hitting the evil pig.  Alas, when certain circumstances did not go my way, I remember throwing a fit and chucking the controller and the television, or trying to snap the controller in half.  I never thought for a second that maybe it was operator error and not the characters fault.  

Computers another story completely.  Playing games on the old kid friendly Macintosh.  Games with a weird gopher that would try to tell you how to build a train.  But when you put a nail in the nail spot he says, "That doesn't go there" and then he laughs.  So you try other spots and he still says that it doesn't go there.  And all the time you are sitting in the chair wondering why that nail doesn't go anywhere that you try inserting it.  Going on the old Netscape internet browser and wondering when the home page for the pokémon website is going to finally load all the way.  Sitting there for five minutes eagerly waiting and then waiting just a bit more.  Until the anxiety becomes to overwhelming for a certain seven year old child and starts yelling at the computer to go faster (which I still do to this day).

In the words of the English comedian Sacha Baron Cohen, "Techmology what is that all about? Is it good, or is it wack?" I think that technology wonderful and highly useful.  I look back sometimes and wonder how I ever survived without a cell phone: to call or text friends, call the family to let them know what is going on.  How did I survive without an Ipod: for long trips in the car watching videos, or listening to hours of music, on the bus to school attempting to wake myself up fully.  
Though there are sometimes when I believe that everyone should unplug themselves from their television, or Nintendo Wii, PSP, Ipod.  The way some people walk around they look like robots having wires coming out every end of their body.  Some people do creep on others on the internet, or they live their life in an online game.  

This is the first actual blog and I have to say that this blogging thing will be a fun and interesting.